Sunday 31 July 2011

Topspin

Hi there. Although I'm an established author I'm new to Aspen Mountain Press and Topspin, due to be published August 15th, is my first title with them. I also have two historical romances being published by Aurora Regency, so I'm pretty busy right now.

I'm a Brit and was brought up on the Isle of Wight in southern England, which probably explains why I've set my fictitious tennis club in that part of the world. My husband Andre and I now divide our time between Andorra - a small principality high up in the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain - and west Florida. Right now we're enjoying the lovely summer weather in the mountains. This picture was taken on Saturday from my terrace. The crop you can see growing in the foreground is tobacco.


I've been involved with tennis clubs for years and when we first moved to Spain we joined one in order to meet people. The goings-on between ex-pats - the petty squabbles and power struggles - was grist to this writer's mill. Andre nagged me to write a novel on the subject.

"Call it Costa Capers," he said. "It will sell a million."

Yeah, right! Anyway, to stop him nagging I wrote the wretched book, changed the names to protect the guilty and set it in England. The result is Topspin.


A bit about  the characters I...er, invented. Jack Regent is an ex East End enforcer. When his wife cheated on him he lost focus, packed it in and moved to the Isle of Wight to spend his days drinking too much and playing tennis. He's a hard man with a past he doesn't share with anyone.

Joe Porterhouse is a respected cardiologist deeply in love with his much younger wife Claire. What he doesn't know is that Claire has voracious sexual appetites that she satisfies with an endless stream of faceless lovers. An accident waiting to happen if ever I heard of one.

Angela Shah has designs of Jack. She needs someone to relieve her loneliness and act as father to her fourteen-year-old twins. She's so tight-lipped about the identity of the twins' father that the other members conclude she must have a murky past.

And let's not forget Ed Brady, a man with his own agenda. When he's not bullying his wife he's plotting to take over the running of the club. We've all met someone like Ed, I'm sure.

The members rub along together, after a fashion, until the new coach turns out to be someone from Jack's past. In fact he's the man whom his wife cheated with and his presence affects not just Jack but all the main players at the club. Personal secrets become public property, resentments and grievances are aired, revenge extracted and firmly held views questioned as the story bulldozes to a bloody and unexpected conclusion.

This fast moving, gritty account of life in a small club will have you burning the midnight oil. Visit my website at http://www.wsoliman.com/ to read an excerpt. If you enjoy it please 'like' my Facebook author page at
http://on.fb.me/oBRZLO  to keep up with all my latest news and releases.

I'm planning a sequel to Topspin but need your help. I can't think of a catchy title connected with tennis. Any ideas? Come up with one that I use and it will earn you a mention in the acknowledgements and a copy of Topspin.

Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the rest of the tour. The next fabulous author up is:




Tour Rules:
1) Tour Starts: Monday, August 1, 2011 at Midnight (EST)
Tour Ends: August 7, 2011 at Midnight (EST)

Final Celebration is August 7th from 6pm-11pm (EST) at the AMP Community Loop.
Grand Prize: a Kindle (Wi-Fi, Graphite, 6″ Display with New E-Ink Pearl Technology) is the Grand Prize. Drawing will take place and be announced on August 7, 2011 on the AMP Community Loop at 11pm (EST). Only comments posted before 10pm (EST) on August 7, 2011 are eligible to win the Kindle. Winner will be notified by email on August 8, 2011 if they are not present on the Loop for the announcement.
***Individual winners from author contests will be drawn and posted August 8, 2011 on their individual sites.***
2) Participation at every blog on the tour is not required but the more blogs a person comments on, the more chances they have to win. If a person comments on one blog, they are entered into the Grand Prize Drawing once. If they comment on ten different blogs, they will be entered into the Grand Prize drawing ten times. Only one comment per blog per person will be entered to win the Grand Prize.
3) The winner of the Grand Prize must be a resident of the United States with a US mailing address. Non-US winners will be eligible for $50 US in Aspen Mountain Press books from the AMP Website.
4) Prizes at individual author blogs are completely at the discretion of the individual authors and are not in association with Aspen Mountain Press and its prize system. To enter the contest on any given blog, you must follow their contest rules and objectives.
5) By commenting on any blog in the tour, the participant is agreeing to these rules and policies.
6) All prize winners will be chosen randomly by using Random Line Picker.

To Move on to the Next Stop in the AMP Tour

CLICK HERE


30 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Link to the Next Blog is http://www.gloriaburland.com/blogsite/?p=79

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous view you must have, it looks very pretty there. Topspin sounds like a delightful read, full of a lot of secrets and dirty laundry that is about to be aired. Look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, you have a marvelous view. Lucky you!

    I don't know much about tennis but I found some terms that I thought interesting.

    "soft hands" - having good feel usually up at net
    "paint the lines" - hitting your shots close to or on the lines

    Good luck with your new book and title. ;-)

    mcsc2008(a)me(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read some of your Regencies! They look fantastic!

    Kathy Teel
    Head Editor
    Aurora Regency
    AMP

    ReplyDelete
  7. This story sounds so good. Thanks for sharing it.

    maw1725@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this story premise - it sounds full of drama fueled by secrets, lies, ulterior motives, revenge, and tension from the different relationships of the members of the club. I'm glad I stumbled on your blog by way of AMP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I envy that you can write in so very different genre! I would love to write historical but the thought gives me chills ~ I'm better of sticking with contemporary and leave the historicals to people who do it well! And your view is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by everyone and for all your positive comments. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your books look wonderful , cant wait to get a chance to read them !!!
    Happy Birthday AMP !!
    Crystal Trent Dotson
    cfcbc@netzero.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know anything about tennis but one of the commenters up there had some great ideas for titles :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for telling us more about the book Topspin. I don't really know a lot about tennis so thinking out a title connected to it is hard ;) It's even harder because I don't know what the sequel will be about. But my suggestion: game point.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful area for you to be residing!! The book sounds full of intrigue and mystery and wonderful!

    Not sure what the next book is about but here are a few suggestions: Game Point, Love Game, Doubles, Grand Slam, Advantage, Underspin, Backspin, Closed Stance, or No-Man's Land.

    Thank you for the giveaway!

    books4me67 at ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only thing that popped into my mind, and I'm not even sure about it is:
    Game, Set and Match.
    It stuck in my mind and now I'll be muttering it under my breath for the next week...LOL
    Thank you for the wonderful excerpt and I've added it to my gotta have list.
    and thank you for the contest as well.

    Darcy

    pommawolf @hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think a couple of possible titles are; Out of Bounds and Over the Line.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for all the lovely comments and suggestions for the next book title. Please keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tennis club...Andre...Andre Agassi? My late husband was a tennis pro and coached the local girls' tennis team to a State Championship, so of course the name Andre Agassi popped into my mind. Your story sounds like a terrific read. I know my husband would have definitely wanted to read it. So do I. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Collette. I do hope you enjoy reading the book and I appreciate your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Wendy,
    Your book sounds like my kinda read. You sound like you have a wonderful writing haven up in the mountains. The pic you posted is gorgeous. Continued blessings.

    Vanessa A. Johnson, Red Rose Publishing Author
    Uncommon Bond
    Sacrifices In The Name of Love

    ReplyDelete
  21. Topspin looks really good! I'm don't know what the sequel will be about, but I think Backhanded would be a cool title!

    Mara
    marajbrandon AT earthlink DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for Vanessa and Mara for your kind comments. Backhanded is certainly an interesting suggestion, Mara.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Topspin sounds like quite an incredible read, Wendy! Congrats on your AMP debut!

    As for possible sequels? Match Point, Double Fault, Break Point, Love Set, Drop Shot... and some of the previous commenters had great suggestions :)

    f dot chen at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like a good book!

    Robin D
    robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks everyone for your interest. It's much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love these blog hops!! I get to find some great new to me authors! I look forward to checking out your work Wendy!

    thewildtwo [@] sbcglobal [dot] net

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the covers of your books - Topspin and Unfinished Business. They've convinced me to read your books.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have to say that I LOVE your cover art. I will definitely be reading your book, especially since I am a tennis addict. lol~ I love the name of Topspin. Happy Bday to AMP also~

    ReplyDelete