Tuesday 13 November 2012

The Next Big Thing



Freda Lightfoot, www.fredalightfoot.blogspot.co.uk/ author of The Duchess of Drury Lane, has invited me to take part in a blog event entitled THE NEXT BIG THING  - a series of questions and answers about what’s happening next in my writing life.

What is the title of your book?

It’s the first in a series charting the fortunes of the Forster dynasty and is entitled Compromising the Marquess.

How did you come by the idea?
I was watching Prince William’s marriage and it got me thinking about how his mother had been hounded to her death by the paparazzi. That it turn started me thinking about the origins of tabloid journalism.

What genre does your book fall under?

Regency historical. I love that rich, colourful period in British history.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters if it were a movie?

Oh heavens, famous people would be so disappointed in me because I never remember who they are! Let me see, perhaps a young Gwyneth Paltrow as my heroine, but she’d have to develop red hair! For the hero, how about the blond guy from Downton Abbey? See, I told you I can’t remember names.

What is a one-sentence synopsis of your book?

The pen might be mightier than the sword but it doesn’t stand a chance against affairs of the heart.

Will your book be self-published or traditional?

This is an e-book and will be published by Carina Press on December 10th this year.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

About three months.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

I love Stephanie Laurens’ Cystner series and the Forsters are along similar lines. Four siblings, looking for love even if they don’t realize it, and getting into all sorts of scrapes before they find it.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?

The characters themselves. Once I dreamed them up, they wouldn’t give me any peace until I put their stories down on paper. The second in the series, Beguiling the Barrister, is being published by Carina in June 2013. As the title implies, this is a courtroom drama centering round the Old Bailey and the form of justice it meted out two hundred years ago.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

My heroine tries to persuade the marquess to further her erotic education. He’s unprepared to take her virginity but they’ve both read the novel Fanny Hill and enact certain scenes from the book. Very steamy stuff! You have been warned.

My thanks to Freda Lightfoot for inviting me to take part in this blog event.
The following author will pick up THE NEXT BIG THING baton next Tuesday, 20 November. 
Claire Robyns http://www.clairerobyns.com/ Author of sensual historical and flirty contemporary fiction.

Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment